Alternative Therapies: New Approaches in Counseling
Sule Bastemura || Yuzuncu Yil UniversityEducational Sciences DepartmentVanTurkey.
Volume : (13), Issue : 205, December - 2018
Abstract : The purpose of this study is to analyze the counselors’ perspectives towards alternative therapies (AT) and whether they use alternative therapies in their professional life or not. The questionnaire was prepared by the researchers based on literature review and experts’ opinion. A qualitative research design and structured interview technique as the data collection tool were used in this research. Counselors’ perspectives about alternative therapies were examined by content analysis. Results indicated that counselors have limited knowledge about alternative therapies.
Keywords :Alternative therapies; counseling; new approaches.
Cite This Article:
New Approaches in Counseling
Article No : 10027
Number of Downloads : 113
Amatruda, K. & Simpson, P. H. (1997). Sandplay: The sacred healing—A guide to symbolic process. Taos, NM: Trance Sand Dance Press.
Appleton, V. (2001). Avenues of hope: Art therapy and the resolution of trauma. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 18(1), 6-13.
Backos, A.K. & Pagon, B.E. (1999). Finding a voice: Art therapy with female adolescent sexual abuse survivors. Art Therapy: Journal of the... More
- Amatruda, K. & Simpson, P. H. (1997). Sandplay: The sacred healing—A guide to symbolic process. Taos, NM: Trance Sand Dance Press.
- Appleton, V. (2001). Avenues of hope: Art therapy and the resolution of trauma. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 18(1), 6-13.
- Backos, A.K. & Pagon, B.E. (1999). Finding a voice: Art therapy with female adolescent sexual abuse survivors. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 16(3), 126-132.
- Baggerly, J. (2004). The effects of child-centered group play therapy on self-concept, depression, and anxiety of children who are homeless. International Journal of Play Therapy, 13(2), 31-51.
- Bar-Sela, G., Atid, L., Danos, S., Gabay, N. & Epelbaum, R. (2007). Art therapy improved depression and influenced fatigue levels in cancer patients on chemotherapy. Psycho-Oncology, 16, 980–984.
- Bettmann, J. E., Russell, K. C. & Parry, K. J. (2013). How substance abuse recovery skills, readiness to change and symptom reduction impact change processes in wilderness therapy participants. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 22,1039–1050.
- Bratton, S. & Ray, D. (2000). What the research shows about play therapy. International Journal of Play Therapy,9:47–88.
- Bryson, J., Feinstein, J., Spavor, J. & Kidd, S.A. (2013). An examination of the feasibility of adventure-based therapy in outpatient care for individuals with psychosis. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health,32.
- Castonguay, L.G., Schut, A.J., Aikens, D.E., Constantino, M.J., Laurenceau, J.P., Bologh, L. & Burns, D.D. (2004).Integrative cognitive therapy for depression: A preliminary investigation. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 14(1), 4-20.
- Chapman, L., Morabito, D., Ladakakos, C., Schreier, H. & Knudson, M.M. (2001). The effectiveness of art therapy interventions in reducing post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms in pediatric trauma patients. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 18(2), 100-104.
- Clauss, C.S. (1998). Language: The unspoken variable in psychotherapy practice. Journal of Psychotherapy, 35(2),188-196.
- Cobia, D., & Henderson, D. (2003). Handbook of school counseling. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall. Cochran, J. L. (1996). Using play and art therapy to help culturally diverse students overcome barriers to school success. School Counselor, 43(4), 287-298.
- Coleman, H.L.K., Yeh, C. (2008). Handbook of school counseling. New York: Routledge.
- Constantino, M.J., Marnell, M.E., Haile, A.J., Kanther-Sista, S.N., Wolman, K., Zappert, L. & Arnow, B.A. (2008).Integrative cognitive therapy for depression: A randomized pilot comparison. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 45(2), 122-134.
- Corey, G. (2009). The art of integrative counseling. CA: Thomson.
- Councill, T. (1993). Art therapy with pediatric cancer patients: Helping normal children cope with abnormal circumstances. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 10(2), 78-87.
- Danger, S. & Landreth, G. (2005). Child-centered group play therapy with children with speech difficulties.International Journal of Play Therapy, 14(1), 81-102.
- Degges-White, S. & Davis, N. L. (2011). Integrating the expressive arts into counseling practice. New York: Springer.
- Emery, M.J. (2004). Art therapy as an intervention for autism. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 21(3), 143-147.
- Fall, M., Balvanz, J., Johnson, L. & Nelson, L. (1999). A play therapy intervention and its relationship to self- efficacy and learning behaviors. Professional School Counseling, 2, 194-204.
- Feen-Callgan, H. (1995). The use of art therapy in treatment programs to promote spiritual recovery from addiction.Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 12(1), 46 50.
- Fletcher, T. B. & Hinkle, J. S. (2002). Adventure based counseling: An innovation in counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 80(3), 277–285.
- Frankel, J. R. & Norman, E. W. (2006). How to design and evaluate research in education. New York:McGraw Hill
- Gass, M. A., Gillis, H.L., and Russell, K.C. (2012). Adventure therapy : Theory, research, and practice. Florence, KY, USA: Taylor and Francis, 2012. ProQuest ebrary. Web. 18 July 2014.
- Gladding, S. T. (2005). Counseling as an art: The creative arts in counseling (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
- Greco, L.A. & Eifert, G.H. (2004). Treating parent-adolescent conflict: Is acceptance the missing link for an integrative family therapy? Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 11, 305-314.
- Grehan, P.M. & Freeman, A. (2009). Neither child nor adult: Applying integrative therapy to adolescents. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 19(3), 269-290.
- Guerney, L. (1979). In C.E. Schaefer (Ed.), The therapeutic use of child's play. NJ: Aronson Inc.
- Hayes, A.M., Beevers, C.G., Feldman, G.C, Laurenceau, J.P. & Perlman, C. (2005). Avoidance and processing as predictors of symptom change and positive growth in an integrative therapy for depress ion. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 12(2), 111–122.
- Hsieh, H.F. & Shannon, S. E. (2005). Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qualitative Health Research,15(9), 1277-1288.
- James, L. & Martin, D. (2002). Sand tray and group therapy: Helping parents cope. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 27, 390-405.
- Jelalian, E., Mehlenbeck, R., Lloyd-Richardson, E.E., Birmaher, V. & Wing, R.R. (2006). “Adventure therapy” combined with cognitive behavioral treatment for overweight adolescents. International Journal of Obesity, 30, 31–39.
- Jones, E.M & Landreth, G. (2002). The efficacy of intensive individual play therapy for chronically ill children.International Journal of Play Therapy, 11(1), 117-140.
- Jones-Smith, E. (2011). Theories of counseling and psychotherapy: An integrative approach. California: SagePublications, Inc.
- Junge, M. (1985). “The book about daddy dying”: A preventive art therapy technique to help families deal with the death of a family member. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 2(1), 4-10.
- Kahn-Denis, K.B. (1997). Art therapy with geriatric dementia clients. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 14(3), 194-199.
- Kahn, B. B. (1999). Art therapy with adolescent: Making it work for school counselors. Professional School Counseling, 2, 31-34.
- Kelley, S.J. (1984). The use of art therapy with sexually abused children. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 22 (12), 12-18.
- Landreth, G. (2002). Play therapy: The art of the relationship. New York: Brunner-Routledge. Lebow, J. (1997). The integrative revolution in couple and family therapy. Family Process, 36, 1-17.
- Lebow, J. & Newcomb-Rekart, K. (2007). Integrative family therapy for high-conflict divorce with disputes over child custody and visitation. Family Process, 46 (1), 79-91.
- Luzzatto, P. & Gabriel, B. (2000). The creative journey: A model for short-term group art therapy with posttreatment cancer patients. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 17(4), 265-269.
- Lyshak-Stelzer, F., Singer, P., Patricia, S.J. & Chemtob, C.M. (2007). Art therapy for adolescents with posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms: A pilot study. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association,24(4), 163-169.
- Malchiodi, C. A. (2003). Handbook of art therapy. NY: The Guilford Press.
- Mennin, D.S., Heimberg, R.G., Turk, C.L. & Fresco, D.M. (2002). Applying an emotion regulation framework to integrative approaches to generalized anxiety disorder. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 9(1),85-90.
- Monakes, S., Garza, Y., Wiesner III, V. & Watts, R. E. (2011). Implementing Adlerian sand tray therapy with adult male substance abuse offenders: A phenomenological inquiry. Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling, 31, 94-107.
- Norton, C. L. & Tucker, A. R. (2010). New heights: Adventure-based group work in social work education and practice. Groupwork, 20 (2), 24–44.
- Phillips, E. & Mullen, J. (1999). Client-centered play therapy techniques for elementary school counselors: Building the supportive relationship. The Journal for the Professional Counselor,14(1).
- Pifalo, T. (2002). Pulling out the thorns: Art therapy with sexually abused children and adolescents. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 19(1), 12-22.
- Pifalo, T. (2007). Jogging the cogs: Trauma-focused art therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy with sexually abused children. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 24(4), 170-175.
- Pizarro, J. (2004). The efficacy of art and writing therapy: Increasing positive mental health outcomes and participant retention after exposure to traumatic experience. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 21(1), 5-12.
- Ponteri, A.K. (2001). The effect of group art therapy on depressed mothers and their children. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association,18(3), 148-157.
- Post, P. (1999). Impact of child-centered play therapy on the self-esteem, locus of control and anxiety of at-risk 4th,5th, and 6th grade students. International Journal of Play Therapy, 8, 1-18.
- Post, P.B., Ceballos, P., & Penn, S.L. (2012). Collaborating with parents to establish behavioral goals in child- centered play therapy. The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families, 20, 51-57.
- Raman, V., & Kapur, M. (1999). A study of play therapy in children with emotional disorders. National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences Journal, 17(2), 93-98.
- Ray, D., Bratton, S., Rhine, T. & Jones, L. (2001). The effectiveness of play therapy: Responding to the critics.International Journal of Play Therapy, 10(1), 85–108.
- Ray, D. C., Armstrong, S. A., Warren, E. S., Balkin, R. S. (2005). Play therapy practices among elementary school counselors. Professional School Counseling, 8(4), 360-365.
- Ray, D. (2007). Two counseling interventions to reduce teacher-child relationship stress. Professional School Counseling, 10(4), 428-440.
- Ray, D.C., Stulmaker, H.L. & Lee, K.R. (2012). Child-centered play therapy and impairment: Exploring relationships and constructs. International Journal of Play Therapy. Advance online publication. doi:10.1037/a0030403.
- Sangganjanavanich, V. F. & Magnuson, S. (2011). Using sand trays and miniature figures to facilitate career decision making. The Career Development Quarterly, 59, 264-273.
- Schaefer, C.E. (1993). The therapeutic powers of play. Northvale, NJ: Aronson.
- Schell,L., Cotton, S. & Luxmoore, M. (2012). Outdoor adventure for young people with a mental illness. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 6, 407–414.
- Schottelkorb, A.A., Swan, K.L., Garcia, R., Gale, B. & Bradley, B.M. (2014). Therapist perceptions of relationship conditions in child-centered play therapy. International Journal of Play Therapy, 23(1), 1–17.
- Selekman, M. D. (1997). Solution-focused therapy with children: Harnessing family strengths for systemic change.New York: Guilford Press.
- Shen, Y. (2002). Short-term group play therapy with Chinese earthquake victims: Effects on anxiety, depression and adjustment. International Journal of Play Therapy, 11(1), 43-63.
- Shen, Y. & Armstrong, S. A. (2008). Impact of group sandtray therapy on the self-esteem of young adolescent girls.The Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 33, 118-137.
- Shostak, B. (1985). Art therapy in schools: A position paper of the American Art Therapy Association. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 14, 19-21.
- Sookman, D. & Pinard, G. (1999). Integrative cognitive therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder: A focus on multiple schemas. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 6, 351-362.
- Spiegel, D., Malchiodi, C., Backos, A. & Collie, K. (2006). Art therapy for combat-related PTSD:Recommendations for research and practice. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 23(4), 157-164.
- Stevens, B., Kagan, S., Yamada, J., Epstein, I., Beamer, M., Bilodeau, M. & Baruchel, S. (2004). Adventure therapy for adolescents with cancer. Pediatric Blood & Cancer, 43: 278–284.
- Stewart, S. H. & Conrod, P. J. (2005). State-of-the-art in cognitive-behavioral intervention for substance use disorders: Introduction to special issues. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy: An International Quarterly,19,195-198.
- Stricker, G. (2001, July 1). An introduction to psychotherapy integration. Retrieved from Psychiatric Times:http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/introduction-psychotherapy-integration
- Tennessen, J., & Strand, D. (1998). A comparative analysis of directed sandplay therapy and principles of Ericksonian psychology. The Arts in Psychotehapy, 25(2), 109-114.
- Tucker, A. R., Javorski, S., Tracy, J. & Beale, B. (2013). The use of adventure therapy in community-based mental health: Decreases in problem severity among youth clients. Child Youth Care Forum, 42, 155–179.
- Waller, C.S. (1992). Art therapy with adult female incest survivors. Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 9(3), 135-138.
- Watts-Jones, D. (1992). Cultural and integrative therapy issues in the treatment of a Jamaican woman with panic disorder. Family Process, 31(2), 105–113.
- Wengrower, H. (2001). Art therapies in educational settings: An intercultural encounter. The Arts in Psychotherapy,28, 109-115.
- Williams B. (2000). The treatment of adolescent populations: An institutional vs. a wilderness setting. Journal of Child and Adolescent Group Therapy, 10, 47–56.
- Wonderlich, S.A., Mitchell, J.E., Peterson, C.B, Crow, S. & Striegel-Moore, R.H. (2001). Integrative cognitive therapy for bulimic behavior. Eating disorders: Innovative directions in research and practice. Linda Smolak (Ed), (pp. 173-195). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association, xii, 305 pp.
- Yildirim, A., & Simsek, H. (2013). Sosyal bilimlerde nitel arastirma yontemleri. Ankara:Seckin.