An Empirical Study of Consumer Impulse Buying Behavior in domestic Markets (special reference to Ahmednagar, (M.S) India.)
Gadekar Vithal Laxman || MBA (Marketing) (Asst.Prof )Institute of Business management & Rural DevelopmentAhmednagar.
Volume : (3), Issue : 211, January - 2019
Abstract : This paper investigates the relationship between independent variables which are shopping lifestyle of consumers, fashion involvement of consumers, predecision stage and Post-decision stage of consumer purchase behavior with the attitudinal and behavioral aspects of impulse buying behavior. This study attempts to explore the association exists between the variables involved, by tapping the responses of 165 respondents from higher income group in the area of ahmednagar. The major findings of the study demonstrated an overall weak association of the set of independent variables with the dependent variable but, the indepth analysis found that predecision stage of consumer purchase behavior is the only variable that resulted into strong association with the impulse buying behavior. It’s true that young people more often get attracted to products displayed on store shelves and has greater tendency of impulse buying behavior but results of this paper showed no association of impulse buying in higher income group of young people having prevalent impulse buying tendencies. This study reported new evidences in the field of impulse buying behavior of consumers pertaining to the domestic markets of the ahmednagar (India).
Keywords :Shopping lifestyle, fashion involvement, predecision stage, post- decision stage, Impulse buying behavior, Ahmednagar.
Cite This Article:
Consumer Impulse Buying Behavior in domestic Markets
Article No : 10021
Number of Downloads : 106
Babin, B. J. and Babin, L. (2001), “Seeking something different? A model of schema typically, consumer affects. Purchase intentions and perceived shopping value”, Journal of Business research, Vol. 54 No.2, pp.89-96.
Beatty, S. E. and Ferrell, M. E. (1998), “Impulse buying: modeling its precursors”, Journal of | Retailing, Vol. 74 No. 2, pp.169-191.
Bellenger, D. D., Robertson, D. and Hirschman, E. (1978), “Impulse Buying... More
- Babin, B. J. and Babin, L. (2001), “Seeking something different? A model of schema typically, consumer affects. Purchase intentions and perceived shopping value”, Journal of Business research, Vol. 54 No.2, pp.89-96.
- Beatty, S. E. and Ferrell, M. E. (1998), “Impulse buying: modeling its precursors”, Journal of | Retailing, Vol. 74 No. 2, pp.169-191.
- Bellenger, D. D., Robertson, D. and Hirschman, E. (1978), “Impulse Buying Varies by | Product,” Journal of AdvertisingResearch, 18 (December), 15-18.
- Cha, J. (2001),”Planning and Unplanned apparel purchase typology and related variables”,| Unpublished thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul (consult Park link).
- Cobb, C. J. and Hoyer, W. D. (1986),”Planned Versus Impulse Purchase Behavior”, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 62 No.4, pp. 384-409. Retrieved, May 16, 2007, from http://web.ebscohost.com
- Dittmar, H. and Drury, J. (2000), “Self-image – is it bag? A qualitative comparison between ordinary and excessive consumers”, Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol. 21 No. 2, pp. 109 142
- Du Pont, D. N and Company. (1965), Consumer Buying Habits Studies, Wilmington, DE Du Pont De Nemours and Company.
- Economic Survey of India, (2006-07). “Inflation,” Chapter no 08, (pp. 119-144). Retrieved, June 17, 2007, from http://www.finance.gov.pk
- Fairhurst, A. E., Good, L. K. and Gentry, J. W. (1989), “Fashion involvement: an instrument validation procedure”, Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, Vol. 7 No3, pp. 10-14
- Federal Bureau of Statistics, Table of House Hold Income Distribution in India. Retrieved, June 17, 2007, from http://www. india.gov.pk/statistics-division/index.jsp
- Freud, S. (1956), “Formulations on the Two Principles of Mental Functioning,” in The Standard Edition of the complete Psychological Works of Sigmund and A. Freud, eds. London: Hogarth.
- Han, Y. K., Mor- gan, G. A., Kotsiopulos, A. and Kang, P. J. (1991), “Impulse buying behavior of apparel purchases”, Clothing and Textile Research Journal, Vol.9 No. 3, pp. 15-21.
- Hausman, A. (2000), “A multi-method investigation of consumer motivations in impulse buying behavior”, Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol.17 No. 15, pp. 403-419.
- Kacen, J. J., and Lee, J. A. (2002), “The Influence of Culture on Consumer Impulse Buying Behavior,” Journal of Consumer Impulse Buying Behavior, Vol. 12 (2), pp. 163-176.
- Ko, S. (1993), “The study of impulse buying of clothing products”, unpublished Master’s thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul. (Consult Park link)
- Kollat, D. T, and Willett, Ronald. P. (1967), “Customer Impulse Purchasing Behavior,” Journal of Marketing Research, 4 (February), pp. 21-31.
- Mai, N. T. T., Jung, K., Lantz, G. and Loeb, S. G. (2003), “An Exploratory Investigation into Impulse Buying Behavior in a Transitional Economy: A Study of Urban Consumers in Vietnam,” Journal of International Marketing, Vol. 11 No.2, pp. 13-35.
- Park, E. J., Kim, E. Y. and Forney, J. C. (2006),”A Structural model of Fashion-oriented Impulse Buying Behavior”, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, Vol. 10 No. 4, pp. 433-446. Retrieved, May 16, 2007, from http://www. emeraldinsight.com/1361-2026.htm
- Piron, F. (1993), “A Comparison of Emotional Reactions Experienced by Planned, Unplanned and Impulse Purchasers”, Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 20, 341-344. Retrieved, May 16, 2007, from http://web. ebscohost.com
- Prasad, K. (1975),”Unplanned Buying in Two Retail Setting,”Journal of Retailing,51 (Fall), pp. 3.12.
- Rook, D. W. (1987),”The buying Impulse,” Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 14 (2), pp. 189-199.
- Rook, D. W., and Fisher, R. J. (1995), “Normative Influences on Impulsive Buying Behavior,” Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 22 (3), pp. 305-413. An Empirical Study of Consumer Impulse Buying Behavior in Local Markets 531
- Rook, D. W. and Gardner, M. P. (1993), “In the mood: impulse buying’s affective antecedents”, Research in Consumer Behavior, Vol. 6, pp. 1-26.
- Seo, J., Hathcote, J. M. and Sweaney, A. L. (2001), “Causal-wear Shopping behavior of college men in Georgia, USA”, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Man- agement, Vol.5 No.3, pp.208- 222.
- Stern, H. (1962),” The Significance of Impulse Buying Today,” Journal of Marketing, Vol.26 (April), pp. 59-62.
- Watson, D. and Tellegen, A. (1985), “Towards a consensus structure of mood”, Psychological Bulletin, Vol.98 No. 2, pp. 219-235.
- Weinberg, P. and Gottwald, W. (1982), “Impulsive consumer buying as a result of emotion”, Journal of Business research, Vol. 10 No.1, pp. 43-57.
- William, J., and Dardis, R. (1972),”Shopping Behavior for Soft Goods and Marketing Strategies,” Journal of Retailing, 48(Fall), 32-41.
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (2007),”Definition of Impulse Buying,” Wikipedia home page. Retrieved, May 17, 2007, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/impulse_buying
- Youn, S. and Faber, R. J. (2000),”Impulse buying: its relation to personality traits and cues”, Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 27, pp. 179-185.